Well it happened! I have had that parent moment where I actually forgot what it was like when my little man was a newborn. The crazy thing is that it only took five months! Recently I have had a couple of newborn sessions and I was kind of surprised that I couldn’t actually remember Spencer being that little. So that got me thinking about the past five months and all of the things that I have learned.
- Early on I learned that sleep deprivation makes your mind do some crazy things. Fortunately the lack of sleep doesn’t last forever, but it appears to be a recurring issue which has popped up again recently.
- It is real easy to pinch little fingers in the car seat buckle and feel really, really guilty about it.
- Most of the conversations my wife and I have had in the past five months have somehow revolved around the little man.
- It is exciting to watch him experience things for the first time, like his first taste of sand and toe dip in the ocean during a recent photo session on the beach.
- He out grows his clothes quickly, so get the most out of the cute little outfits while you can. I have also learned that some “cute” little boy outfits look a bit like little girl outfits.
- As he starts eating real, blended foods things get really messy, and not just the eating part.
- There is an acceptable amount of spit-up that one can endure before changing clothes. I have also learned that he likes to spit up on me just before heading out to an event, I recently had to change shirts three times!
- When he learns something new he likes to practice. Things like playing with his feet, high pitched squeals, and most recently crawling, which is something he decided to practice at 3am.
Most importantly I have learned that I can do this! While it is scary being responsible for a little one I haven’t broken him yet. I also seem to be able to make him smile and even laugh most of the time. It has been a big change having a new life to care for, but my lovely wife and I have done a pretty good job of supporting one another and I couldn’t imagine a better partner to be on this journey with.
Happy five months Spencer!